Sunday, May 6, 2012

Personal Favorite: Early in the Morning; Li Young Lee.
   Desktop Wallpaper · Gallery · Travels 
 Early Morning in Alsace
While the long grain is softening
in the water, gurgling
over a low stove flame, before
the salted winter vegetable sliced
for breakfast, before the birds,
my mother glides an ivory comb
through her hair, heavy
and black as calligrapher's ink

she sits at the foot of the bed
my father watches, listens for
the music of comb
against hair.

My mother combs,
pulls her hair back
tight, rolls it
around two fingers, pins it
in a bun to the back of her head
for half a hundred years she has done this
my father likes to see it like this
He says it is kept.

But i know
it is because of the way
my mother's hair falls
when he pulls the pins out
Easily, like curtains
when they untie them in the evening.

How this made me feel: Made me feel like I know how my parents feel.

Favorite line: My mother glides an ivory comb through her hair, heavy and black as calligrapher's ink.

Why I choose it: I choose it cause it made me think of my mom and dad, how they act when they are with each other, they love each other with all their hearts and when my mom does something like this my dad notices and is like Damn, she is beautiful, he always notices what she does, notices how good of a wife she is, how much time she puts into the family, how much time she puts into doing what she does, how much she loves everyone in this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment